Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Storm Wrestling Captures Second Straight GLIAC Championship with Victory over Findlay

Photo by Baker Media Productions
Photo by Baker Media Productions

FINDLAY, Ohio—The Lake Erie College wrestling team won its second straight Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Championship, defeating the University of Findlay, 29-16, Friday (Feb. 13).

The victory marks the second straight GLIAC Championships for the school as well as the second team championship for Lake Erie athletics in GLIAC action since joining the conference in 2010. 

The GLIAC Championship is determined through round robin duals.  The Storm finished those duals with a 3-0 record.  Earlier in the season, the Storm defeated Ashland University and Tiffin University.

Forrest Glogouski (New Paris, Ind./Farfield) opened the dual against Schuyler Phillips at 125-pounds.  Phillips scored the first points with a takedown late in the first period.  Glogouski escaped early in the second to cut the lead to one.  With less than 10 seconds to go in the second, Glogouski shot in after a reset and put Phillips on his back for a pin fall with only one second left in the period.

Josh Wimer got an early takedown against Ian Ross (Newark, N.Y./Newark) at 133-pounds.  After the takedown, Wimer scored four near fall points to gain a 6-0 lead heading into the second.  In the second, Wimer got a quick reversal, leading to a pinfall to tie the dual.

Nick Boggs (Concord, Ohio/Riverside) scored an early takedown against Ryan Skonieczny at 141-pounds.  Skonieczny escaped late in the period to cut the lead to one to start the second.  Boggs escaped to start the second period to regain a two point lead.  Skonieczny tied the bout with a takedown late in the third to send it into sudden victory.  With three seconds to go in the extra period, Boggs secured a takedown near the edge of the mat to pick up the 5-3 decision.

Chayse Csongedi (Parma, Ohio/Parma) gained a quick lead against sixth-ranked Nick Goebel with a takedown but Goebel escaped to cut it to one.  Late in the first, Goebel landed a takedown and a near fall to gain a 6-2 lead.  That advantage grew to 11-3 to start the third. Csongedi trailed 15-4 but scored a reversal to cut the lead to nine but it was not enough as Goebel picked up an 18-7 major decision. 

Joey White got on the board first with a takedown at 157-pounds against Christian Baughman (Wadsworth, Ohio/Wadsworth).  Baughman escaped to cut the lead to one. White landed a second takedown, but once again Baughman escaped.  White's lead grew to four, 7-3, with an escape and a takedown in the second. In a tumultuous final minute of action, Baughman cut the lead to one, 15-14, with less than 10 seconds on the clock but could not land another takedown as Findlay took a 13-9 lead.

Matt Vandermeer (Clarkston, Mich./Clarkston) picked up a forfeit victory at 165-pounds to give the Storm the lead once again, 15-13. 

After a scoreless first between Nicholas Vandermeer (Clarkston, Mich./Clarkston) and John Belcher at 174-pounds, Vandermeer scored a reversal to take a 2-0 lead.  Vandermeer kept Belcher down for the majority of the second period.  He increased his lead to four with a takedown early in the third.  Vandermeer closed out the bout with a stall and ride time point for the 6-0 decision.

Zev Green (Marysville, Ohio/Marysville) struck first against Alec Bissell at 184-pounds with a takedown.  Two near falls increased the lead to seven heading into the second.  Late in the period, Green landed a second takedown to pull ahead, 9-0.  After escaping to start the third, Green scored a takedown and a near fall to gain the tech fall, increased the Storm lead to 23-13. 

Evan Rosborough (Concord Twp., Ohio/Riverside) scored a takedown two minutes into the first against Gerald Beck at 197-pounds.  He picked up two near fall points before Beck had a reversal.  Rosborough escaped to start the second.  In the final minute of the period, Rosborough scored a takedown and worked his advantage to a pin to secure the GLIAC Championship. 

Luke Fleming scored a takedown in the first period against Noah Hosking (Milford, Mich./Milford) to take a 2-0 lead into the second.  Hosking started the second at the top position and kept Fleming down for the duration of the second.  He escaped to start the third but Fleming landed a second takedown.  Hosking escaped to cut the lead to two but was unable to land a takedown in the final thirty seconds. 

The Storm is off for the next two weeks before the Super Region-II Championships Feb. 27-28.